Saturday, June 28, 2014

Greetings From Kansas!

   Yes, you heard me right! Kansas! And I am really enjoying it.
   I flew in to Kansas City on Tuesday and had a 3 hour drive to the location that I  am working at.
The grasslands stretch for miles. It is so different from the east.
  When I finally got of the turnpike I saw this...
Who knew? I didn't see any Prairie Chickens...
 It was another 50 miles or so to Newton, KS.
  After or before my work day I do take a little bit of time to explore...
Newton has a fabulous old train station that Amtrak still stops at. There is a pretty  big train yard too. Apparently this was a town where the railroad crews changed.
One of my coworker's recommended Le-J's BBQ to me. This is so different than NC BBQ, such smoky goodness. 
I also ate at the Breadbasket in Newton.
They have wonderful soups.
Instead of having a large bowl of one type I had a cup each of different types.
  I was amazed that for a small town how many fabric shops there are. People here do a lot of quilting. There are 3 quilt hangings that I have seen in the building
I am working in.
There is a walking/bike path next to the hotel that I have been using. I saw this lovely guy yesterday.
  There has been no stitching, I was hoping to tonight but somehow time has gotten away from me. I spent today exploring Wichita. I will post more about that tomorrow.
   Thanks for traveling with me.
    I need a salad!
 
Chris

19 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Great pics, Chris! I'm glad you're able to take time to explore when you're on travel for work. Seems like wherever I go, places are closed by the time I'm able to get out. I love the idea of ordering two cups of different soups rather than just one bowl. That's brilliant and I'll be doing that next time I can't decide and I'll definitely remember you, when I do!

Beth said...

Good for you taking time to enjoy and explore.

Annette-California said...

Love your post Chris! I think you had a great idea for getting to sample more than one soup!
Thank you for sharing.
Safe travels - love Annette

stitchersanon said...

Wow, gorgeous photos. Love the soup idea: perfect. Normally I have to steal whatever hubby choses rofl

butterfly said...

Lovely photos and fab food , did you buy any material. Hugs.

Carol said...

How lucky you are to see so much of the U.S. in your new position, Chris!! I'm glad your travel time is not only spent on work and that you can see new sights and taste new foods. The topography of Kansas really does look so different than here in the East!!

Safe travels to wherever you're headed next!

diamondc said...

Chris: Wow there are some perks to being on the road for woek, I never thought of taking pictures when I am on the road, the food looks great, the train station is lovely I love old buildings.
Thank-you for sharing a fun part of your job.

Catherine

cucki said...

Truly so beautiful xxx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's fun to join you on your travels Chris, I don't know how you keep up these days. I'm impressed that you still find time to blog, I'm glad you do though.

Margaret said...

Ah, the food! Must be fun to try out the food! I lived in Kansas once upon a time. Flat with rolling hills, trees very tiny compared to the east coast. Very different!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Round, round, get around, you get around!

Vickie said...

ooOoo! Thanks for sharing Chris. Your food looks really, really good!

KimM said...

Great pictures - and the food looks so yummy!
Enjoy!

Anne said...

That train station is so cool! I would love to get off at that station everyday from work! The food looks amazing and you should buy some fabric from the quilting stores...heheee!!7

Hugs!

Barb said...

Beautiful train station and butterfly! It is so flat there. When we go back to the mid-west it always amazes me how very flat it can be.

Cole said...

What a beautiful old train station!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Happy you're sharing the sights with us. As different as BBQ is from NC to SC, I can imagine it would be a different thing out in Kansas. Don't you love that craving for salad? Me, too! Safe travels!

Andrea said...

Great photos, enjoy exploring.

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm reading about your trip backwards, but I always get that craving for vegetables when I've been travelling. I hope you got some!