Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Warren County Historical Museum Sampler Exhibit in Lebanon, OH

On one of my trips earlier this year to the Cincinnati area I had the chance to stop at the Warren County Historical Museum in Lebanon, OH. They currently have an exhibit of schoolgirl samplers that runs through September 3rd.
Here is the museum.
This was my favorite  sampler in the exhibit. I love the red. 
Look at the steamship...
Many of the samplers had no information about them. The exhibit did include a Westtown School sampler.

Here are a few more pics...
Lovely border and parrots.
I was intrigued be the netting applied for her dress on this silk mourning piece.
And look at the fabulous dress on the other figure in the silk piece. 
Here is the whole embroidery.
I thought this one was very sweet too.

I had time to walk around the museum quickly. The exhibits had many dresses displayed from the 1860's to the early 20th century.
One display.

They also had a very nice Shaker exhibit.

If you go to the exhibit, stop and have lunch at the Golden Lamb Inn. It is a very short walk from the museum. It is Ohio's oldest hotel and has had many famous guests over the years.

I did not have time to stop, I was headed to the airport in Dayton but Lisa from The Inspired Stitcher did and she said it was wonderful.

I hope that everyone's summer is filled with fun and stitches.

I still have not found my stitching mojo, hopefully it will show up again soon!

Chris

18 comments:

Vickie said...

So very, very nice to see a post from you Chris. I keep going back to look at that mourning sampler. Wow. What a neat museum. Take good care of yourself!

Robin in Virginia said...

Hi Chris! Enjoyed your blog post this AM! What a neat museum and fabulous exhibit you had the opportunity to check out. Thinking of you!

carol fun said...

It is a lovely exhibit... I saw it a couple of weeks ago and may go back again...glad you got to see it too. Take care! Hugs!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I'd love to hit that museum up, one day! I've lost my mojo, too. It's taking me Forever to stitch one, teeny tiny bit. Love the steamship on the sampler!

Marilyn said...

What a cool museum.
The Samplers are beautiful.
The Mourning Sampler is unique.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Marilyn

marly said...

Thanks for sharing these pieces. Never saw a steamship on a sampler.

KimM said...

Wow - thank you for the pictures and sharing your trip to the museum. The samplers are exquisite.
xxx

Barb said...

Nice to see your blog Chris! When I lived in Louisville, Lebanon, Ohio was a favorite spot of mine. They had a great antique show every year.

diamondc said...

Dearest Chris: What a lovely sample of the museum, I am so happy to see a post from you, thank-you for sharing with us.
I hope your stitching mojo comes back soon.

Blessings
Catherine

Margaret said...

How wonderful to get to see pretty samplers in a museum like that! Thanks for sharing it. Hope you find your stitching mojo soon, but with all you are doing, it's not surprising if you need a break for now.

Beth said...

Always good to 'hear' from you Chris. With all your travels you have one adventure after another!

Brigitte said...

Oh Chris, lucky you that you could visit such an exquisite exhibition. I love the samplers that you show here. It must have been gorgeous to see them in real life. Thank you so much for sharing.

Julie said...

Lots of lovely things you saw on your visit
xx

Cindy's Stitching said...

Nice museum picture hope you get your MOJO back soon

Rachel said...

Wow Chris, thank you so much for sharing these pictures and your recommendation!! I'm not far from Cincinnati and I've never seen a sampler exhibit in person, I'm thinking I might take a road trip!:)

Meari said...

What a wonderful museum! Thanks for sharing it with us that don't live close enough.

Just Another Old Geezer said...

What awesome stitching treasures!! Thanks so much for sharing these amazing pieces and photographs...
http://allcrossstitchpatterns.yolasite.com/Rose-Cross-Stitch-Patterns.php

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Chris, new follower here. Wonderful sampler pictures, I live north of Dayton and unfortunately didn't know about this. Melinda