Saturday, August 1, 2015

July 2015

Come back! You were over so quick!
Hello my Friends.
I hope that July brought you some time off, celebrations with friends and family, lots of sunshine, stitching and lots of summer fruits and vegetables.
Rich and I started the month by heading to Detroit for vacation. You know that I always love going there.
Rich was definitely ready to go!
We visited the Eastern Market.
Too bad I didn't have a kitchen.
There were a lot more wonderful things here. If you ever get the chance go!
Met up with friends. Tina, Cameron and I worked together in Fresno, CA six years ago during a CVS project. It was great for us all to be together again.
We took a tour with the Detroit Bus Company.
Those two look like trouble!
We saw amazing murals.
Amazing architecture.
The gorgeous riverfront.
After the bus tour we had some lunch.
Lafayette Coney, the original chili dog!
Rich approved.
Since the day was so beautiful we decided to venture north outside the city to Port Huron.
This is Michigan's oldest lighthouse. 1829.
The view from the top.
There is also a beautiful riverwalk park in Port Huron.
Amazing sculptures...
Even though my friend Tina is from Detroit she had never been to this area. It was a wonderful afternoon.
Rich and I visited the Ford Rouge plant the next day. This is where the make the new F-150 trucks, pretty amazing. This is the largest living roof top in the country.
We visited the Henry Ford museum. This passenger train car from the 1860's was beautiful and from Bangor. 
We went to a Tiger's game.
We had a great view of the skyline.
The game went 14 innings, we left after the 12th.
Rich and I toured the Ford Piquette Plant.
The birthplace of the Model T. It was amazing to see this place that changed the world.
Tina met us for dinner one night and we headed over to Corktown for dinner from The Bucharest Grill.
These sandwiches are amazing. We took ours across the street to eat..
This is where the old Tigers stadium stood. The flag pole is still there and you can see the gates to the right.
 Rich and I drove further up north one day to the tip of the thumb. Michigan is shaped like a mitten.
This is Point Aux Basque light.
Michigan sure is beautiful! I definitely need to spend more time exploring the rest of the state.
 Rich and I had a wonderful time in Detroit. It is one of my favorite cities.
  The rest of July I have spent a lot of time at home with a couple of over night business trips and a couple of longer ones.
  I did get to visit Albuquerque, NM to work on a new site set up and boy, do I need to get back here to visit with Rich.
One night after work I went and took the tram up Sandia Peak.
Amazing views! It was so beautiful.
Stunning!
Storms rolling through. 
Albuquerque also has the most amazing Mexican food. I think I will judge everything else by Sandie's.
We ventured to Old  Town one night for dinner.
I drove up to Santa Fe after work my last night and walked around a little.
I definitely need to move New Mexico up on my "where to vacation" list.
  Rich and I had dinner with a couple of different truck friends...
5 ton! Hard to climb up into this one!
And friends with an M-37.
Good times!
I have been getting some stitching done too.
I finished Betsy's House by Plum Street Samplers.
I have made some progress on Margaret Randolph. I am trying to focus on getting her finished.
I also started the Lizzie Kate Very Scary Mystery which had been in my stash forever. It is fun to stitch with these colors.
I also added to my stash. I am definitely in a fall stitching mood!
  Please send good thoughts Rich's way. He will be having surgery on August 18th. 
  So now I think that you are caught up. 
Thanks for hanging in there with me. Your   comments and friendship mean so much.

Stitch on!

Chris





19 comments:

carol fun said...

Great photos of a great trip... you make me see Detroit in a whole new light. Love your stitching projects... I'm getting an urge to do Fall stuff too. Sending positive thoughts for Rich's surgery. happy stitching!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a great post Chris, so many wonderful photos and interesting places - I enjoyed my virtual trip.
I have been thinking of you both and send my good thoughts and prayers for August 18th - it'll be here before you know it.
Just remember "look towards the sun and the shadows will fall behind you".

Marilyn said...

Glad you got to go on a vacation.
Thanks for sharing all of the pics, they are amazing.
Great stash!
And cool next projects.
Sending positive thoughts to Rich for his surgery.
Marilyn

Vickie said...

Wow! You always wow me with your adventures. :D
I am praying for Rich.

Jennifer M. said...

Love your pictures! We love to travel too and Detroit was never really up on my list, but your pictures have definitely shown me a pretty side of that city. New Mexico looks awesome too.

Love your stitching. I have LK Halloween Mystery Sampler too. I just want to finish some other projects first before starting that one.

Robin in Virginia said...

Chris, what a fabulous photo journey you took us on! It looked like you had a wonderful Detroit vacation, but also a good New Mexico adventure. Your assorted stitching projects look great. Keeping Rich in my prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.

Robin in Virginia

Natasha said...

what great photos. It is nice to see someone putting a positive light on Detroit. I grew up in Cleveland and like Detroit we have had our hardships it is nice to see places coming back.

Wishing Rich the best during surgery!!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Wow, Chris, all that traveling and stitching, too! Looks like you had great trips both to Detroit and New Mexico. Thanks for taking me along! Your stitching looks wonderful. Hope Rich has a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Beth said...

What a busy month! I know nothing about Detroit so enjoyed the tour. Amazing amount of stitching for as busy as you've been!

Cindy's Stitching said...

AWESOME pictures Chris. Michigan is really pretty. I have never been there. The market food looks so good. NM looks quite specitacular too. I am sure the mexican food is really good. Glad you met your friends. Good to see you and Rich had a good time. Nice stitching. August is upon us.

Margaret said...

I love seeing where you travel to. So glad one of the trips was a vacation with Rich! Love armchair travelling with you. Great finish and lovely WIPs too! My thoughts and prayers for Rich's surgery. Hope it goes well and he recovers quickly.

butterfly said...

Great post Chris,
I always your photos of your trips , I must say you go to some great places.
Stitching looks fab too.
Enjoy your summer sweet friend.

Annette-California said...

Prayers for Rich that the doctors hands are steady, all goes well and a complete recovery!
What an amazing vacation you both had. Looked like you and your friends had a private bus tour:))) LOVE all your stitching progress you managed while on the road. Congrats on finishing Betsy's House - she's beautiful. love Annette

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a fun trip! My DH and I did Detroit one year when we were first married. It's a fun place to go. I love seeing all your adventures. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way for an uneventful trip to the hospital for Rich. Have a good August! Hugs!

diamondc said...

Dear Chris and Rich: I still keep you both in my prayers.
Love this post such beautiful pictures, I feel like I was there myself. Thank-you for sharing with us.
My favorite picture was of you and Rich in the Model T oh so cute and romantic.
Love your stitching, I am glad you had a finish, nice fall projects you have there, I will be digging out some fall projects next week.
Hugs and more hugs.

Catherine

Julie said...

Sending best wishes for Rich's surgery.
A lovely trip you both had, lots of great pics of your adventures.
Super stitching.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I've never been to Detroit, but it sure looks like a great place to visit! love the old cars :)
And your food shots always make me hungry! HA!
Love Betsy's House and your sweet sampler!

Brigitte said...

Wow, what a post! Your vacation in Detroit must have been so awesome, what an interesting city Detroit must be. And then your trip up north with such great pictures again of Lake Huron. Thanks for sharing all these picutres, they are just wonderful.
It is amazing that you even got some stitching in and you were stitching on some gorgeous projetcs. Nice progress!

Sally said...

Oh wow what fantastic photos from your trips Chris. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Beautiful stitching too. You always pick lovely things to stitch.

Hope Rich is continuing to do well ( have been following your posts on Facebook).