Sunday, September 9, 2012

Stitches In Time Exhibit

Saturday morning Susan and I headed over to the Mercer Museum in Doylestown, PA for the opening of the Stitches in Time exhibit.



Here is the front of the Museum. They have recently added this entry building that contains restrooms, exhibit space and classrooms. I haven't been to this museum since I was 10 or 11 so it was fun for me to visit again.
The morning started with a presentation by the guest curator of the exhibit, Kathy Lesieur.



Then we were able to visit the exhibit. Wow! Another fabulous group of samplers. The exhibit was wonderful it is only up until November 15th so if you have the chance please go visit.
They had a lovely sampler chart available and I will be posting about that soon in another post.
After seeing the exhibit Susan and I went on to look at the Mercer Museum.



Here is the inside looking up at the ceiling. Henry Mercer's collection is all pre-industrial trade tools and implements and most come from the surrounding area.



Here is a picture in the mercantile.



Another inside shot. The building was constructed entirely of poured concrete and has many different levels.
I enjoyed visiting it again.
Then we headed over to a local farmer's market for lunch with our friends.



It is run by one of the local agricultural colleges.



We had lovely sandwiches for lunch and I also had this...



Banana walnut chip ice cream with carmel and wet walnut topping. Yum! But oh so bad.
Then Susan and I took off to see Fonthill.



This is Henry Mercer's home. It is another poured concrete structure that took 10 men 4 years to build. It has 44 rooms. It is decorated throughout with tiles produced in Mr. Mercer's Moravian Tile Works.



We had an absolutely wonderful tour with a great guide.




Here is the carriage house and Susan.
If you have the chance to visit the exhibit please make the time to visit Fonthill too.
Thanks for joining me on this trip!
Have a wonderful Sunday!

Chris
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

Vickie said...

ooOoo! Thanks for sharing Chris.

Catherine said...

How fun that their exhibit is opening when the other one in West Chester was closing ~ you got to see them both!! I don't know if I'll make it over to see this one. I have wanted to visit those two museums, Fonthill and Mercer, for quite some time.

Margaret said...

Wow, pretty cool! I'm going to have to google these places. I've heard of Henry Mercer but don't know why. Thanks for sharing. Ice cream -- so scrumptious!

Siobhán said...

I loved seeing your photos, Chris! What a fun exhibit that must have been.

cucki said...

thank you for sharing..
lovely xxx

marly said...

Thanks for taking us along! Enjoyed the photos, info, and food pics. Oh the chipped beef.....and I haven't had a walnut sundae in years. But I will soon.

Kathy Ellen said...

Thank you for a nice tour of the museum! Henry Mercer's house looks like a castle. It must have been wonderful touring it.
That ice cream treat looks sinfully delicious:)

Blessings!

Anne said...

Must have been amazing to see the exhibit Chris! Love all your photos and that walnut sundae looks so yum!