Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stitching friends

I had the chance to have breakfast this morning with Myra from Gr8dame's Place. We live quite near to each other and have found each other through our blogs. We talked a little this morning about meeting other stitchers and how great it is to see every one's stitching via the blogs. This has gotten me thinking about my stitching friends and how I have met them and maintained those relationships.
I belong to an EGA chapter in Greensboro, NC. It has allowed me to learn some more techniques and also I have gained friendship through the guild. When I lived in CT there was a group of us that got together every other month for a potluck on Saturday and stitched and ate. I have had the chance to go to some stitching seminars. I used to love going to Sampler Gathering every April, there was always a great assortment of teachers and classes. I have been to a lot of needlework symposiums and it is a pretty small group that goes to those so you do see the same people. There is no local shop for cross stitchers in the area,. Many times stitchers meet at a store and have classes and form friendships there.
 Now it seems that many friendships are formed via the Internet. I keep up with friends that I stitched with via, email, Facebook and blogs. How lucky am I that I can do that. I will be going up to Williamsburg the beginning of February for A Gathering of Embroiderers. I have not signed up for any classes this year so I am just going to see some friends, and maybe for a little retail therapy. Margariet from The Essamplaire will be there and I am always tempted. My guild is having 2 teachers come this year, Meg Shinall and Catherine Jordan. So I look forward to the chance of learning some new techniques.
I guess that I am thinking about how do you get involved in a stitcher group or find other people in your area that stitch?

The picture above is a gift Myra brought for me. It is one of her wonderful project bags. It is the perfect size for some tools or one of those ornament kits that I am always dragging around. I LOVE the fabric. The soap is just wonderful too and smells so good. Thank you Myra.
I am continuing to work on this Bristol sampler. I have been doing this 4 sided stitch alphabet. The color is DMC 812. Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I hope that everyone has a peaceful Sunday. Rich and I are off to a housewarming now.

Chris

5 comments:

Myra said...

It was wonderful to meet you in person and I felt like I had known you for a long time. Thanks again for my wonderful gift and I hope we can meet on a regular basis.

I just love your Bristol sampler - I am enjoying seeing all the different fonts.

Carol said...

How nice that you and Myra got to meet in person, Chris--aren't her project pouches the best!!

Faye said...

Oh Chris, I am jealous!! I have not met Myra in person yet although we all live relatively close to one another...Next time you guys meet up, email me as I would be thrilled to meet both of you in person... Love the sampler and we have matching Myra bags!!Too cool.... Faye

Catherine said...

How wonderful that you and Myra were able to get together! I just found you through her post about your meeting.

I've been glancing through your blog -- beautiful stitches!

Unknown said...

I love your Bristol project!

I am very luck to have many stitching groups in my area. Some were started through internet friendships, others by various local needlework shops. Most of the shops have now closed but the stitchers continue to gather.