Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Weekend in Georgia

Hello Friends! 
  The weekend before last I packed up Syl(her inaugural road trip) and headed to Athens, GA for the MESDA textile symposium.
It was held at the Georgia Museum of Art.
This seminar focused on Georgia samplers and needlework. There is a catalog available for the exhibit from the museum gift shop written by Kathy Staples.
  The exhibit of samplers included 2 early GA tablet samplers from the mid 1700's that have the 10 commandments in verse, a group of samplers from a catholic school in Savannah, a sampler on loan from the National Archives that was used to obtain  a revolutionary war pension. There were quite a few more but these are some of the highlights.
They also did a quilt turning for us from the museum's collection.
This one was interesting.
Close up.
They had about 18 quilts for us to view,
from a crazy quilt to some art quilts.
  Another part of the event was a tour of some of the local historic homes. It was a whirlwind.
First stop.
The Octagon wings were added to the home in the 1850's, downstairs were parlor/office space and upstairs was the bedrooms, on side his and one side hers.
Stop 2 was part of the Athens visitor center. 
This home has gorgeous restored interiors.
I loved the wallpaper in thes rooms.
Stop 3.
This house reminded me of the Josephus Hall House in Salisbury, NC. The main house has the same floor plan and 15 foot ceilings, and very wide center hallway.
Some of the interior.
This dining room is in an addition at the back of the house. I meant to take pics of the stairway and the beautiful pocket doors but as I said this was a whirlwind.
  One of the best things about these events is catching up with friends.
This is my friend Susan. We had dinner with other friends too. Such a nice time.
  I do have a funny story. At lunch the last day a woman sat down at our table and we were talking about our textile interest, she said she did Hardanger and taught once in a while. She was pleased that I new what Hardanger was and that it was something that I wanted to try. As she left  I saw her name tag, it was Janice Love and of course I have her books.

So another great sampler adventure in the books!

Thanks for traveling with me!

Chris 




16 comments:

meigancam01 said...

Sounds like you had grate time!!
You got some beautiful pictures.
Thanks for sharing!

wranglerkate said...

Thanks for taking us along via your photos - it all looks wonderful!

Vickie said...

Wow! Wow! The carpeting in that first home you showed us is spectacular!

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous adventure you had, Chris! Thank you for sharing it with us via the pictures.

Marilyn said...

What great History.
And lucky you to meet Janice Love.
Thanks for sharing the pica.
Marilyn

diamondc said...

Hi Chris: Oh my gosh you met Janice Love, you are so lucky.
I love seeing your posts they are so interesting, I bet you all had a wonderful time, the tour looks like something I would like to see.
I hope you did not have any bad weather last week.

Blessings
Catherine

Margaret said...

This looks like a fun time was had for sure! Fantastic quilts you were shown -- wow! The houses too -- gorgeous! And how cool about Janice Love!

Barb said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful trip. I love textiles including samplers, and quilts. Plus I love old houses so I really enjoyed this post!

Julie said...

Such beautiful quilts you were able to view and magnificent homes too.

cucki said...

Wow so beautiful x

Sherry said...

I love historical houses! And the quilt show must have been wonderful to see. Looks like a trip I would have loved to take.

Terri said...

Love all of your pictures, it looks like fun! And wow! I'm jealous! I would LOVE to meet Janice Love! She's my hero! :-)

KimM said...

Love all your pictures - looks like a fabulous time!!!
xxx

Cindy's Stitching said...

awesome chris. great pictures. thank you for sharing

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You do get around Chris. I love those quilts - having tried quilting in the past I know just how much time and work goes into them.

Brigitte said...

What an opportunity to visit such an exhibit and to be able to admire all these old quilts. Seeing old quilts in person is so exciting. You can use your imagination and think about how and where and for which purpose they were sewn.
Great pictures of all these historic houses. It must have been so interesting to see the rooms and to see how the former owners of these houses had lived.